Happy Father’s Day to all the Dads out there! I wanted to share a seasonal recipe that you can bring to your Father’s day cookout or your next summer gathering. This is a great example of a stress free recipe that can be put together in just a few minutes. These fresh ingredients are perfect for the season and you may already have these ingredients in your kitchen! …. Enjoy!
1 can black beans (or about ½ cup dried black beans soaked overnight and cooked)
½ red onion, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
1 bunch cilantro
1 – 2 ripe avocados
2 limes, juiced
zest of 1 lime
3 – 4 tablespoons olive oil (or avocado oil)
½ teaspoon chili powder
½ teaspoon cumin
½ teaspoon onion powder
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
sea salt & fresh cracked pepper to taste
- Open and drain canned beans. Give the beans a quick rinse to remove extra salt and residue. Set drained beans aside.
- Prepare bell peppers by removing the tops and cleaning out seeds and ribs. Chop the bell peppers into same size small pieces.
- Next chop onions into same size pieces.
- In a large bowl combine the beans, peppers, and onions.
- Take a handful of cilantro and chop. Remove any stems or discolored leaves and mix into the bowl. Set bowl aside and prepare to make the dressing.
- In a small bowl, add all dressing ingredients and whisk together.
- Pour dressing over bean mixture and toss well. Put in refrigerator to chill for about an hour.
- Before serving, add sliced or chopped avocado to the top.
This bean salad is great as a side, topping on a burger, mixed in with other greens, or even as a salsa with tortilla chips!
To learn more about Tracy’s In Home Cooking and Nutrition Programs, schedule a Complimentary Consultation by calling (203) 916-4600.