Massage therapists treat clients by using touch to manipulate the soft-tissue muscles of the body. With their touch, therapists relieve pain, help rehabilitate injuries, improve circulation, relieve stress, increase relaxation, and aid in the general wellness of clients. Massage therapists use touch to manipulate a client’s muscles.
Massage is often used for specific reasons, such as relief from pain, stress reduction, or enhancement of athletic performance. But whether there is a specific goal or not, massage therapy tends to increase the general health and wellbeing of the recipient.
Objectives for relaxation massage include:
- Relief for tight muscles (knots) and other aches and pains
- Improved circulation
- Reduction of stress
- Enhanced sense of wellbeing
- Improved mood (reduction in depression, anxiety, and anger)
- Improved sleep patterns
- Increased energy and vitality
- Experience of comfort through touch