Red Light Therapy (RLT) also called Low level light therapy (LLLT) or Photobiomodulation (PBM,) is a well-recognized tool that uses low wavelength red light (620-1200nm,) to change the environment of the skin and tissue. This light range, invisible to the human eye, penetrates the skin and deeper tissue and has been shown useful for promoting wound healing, tissue repair, and skin rejuvenation.
Mechanism of Action:
- RLT uses particles of light (photons) as a medical application to stimulate or inhibit a variety of cellular processes. Photons are absorbed through the skin and activates cells called chromophores and mitochondria, an energy generating cell that promotes healing.
- Cells that respond to energy stimulation include
- Fibroblasts a large flat cell that composes the basic framework of tissue and synthesizes collagen and elastin
- Keratinocytes are major cells of your skin layer that migrate and proliferate to restore the skin barrier
- Immune cells (mast, neutrophils, macrophages,) increase blood flow and provide defense for the skin barrier.
Benefits of Red Light Therapy
- Stimulates collagen production
- Increases blood circulation
- Reduces inflammation
- Improves wound healing
- Reduce stretch marks
- Reduce wrinkles, age spots, and fine lines
- Improve facial texture and complexion
- Improve rosacea, psoriasis, and eczema
- Improve sun damage
- Improve hair growth
- Improve acne
In office Red Light Therapy
The Shalva Clinic offers quick and non-invasive treatments. You will lie or sit in a comfortable position. The Red-light wand is applied directly to your skin in a circular motion. Total treatment time is 15 minutes. No pain is associated with treatment and most often patients report feeling slight warmth and heat.